Interview with Artist: Miranda Lorikeet

Miranda Lorikeet is a master at capturing the beauty in simplicity. Using MS Paint to express her artistic voice, she often depicts a singular figure surrounded by a vast and colorful scene. The figures are completely alone, but they are not lonely. They are just existing among the mountains, the ocean, and the sky, completely content in their solitude. The calmness emanating from her work, as well as its incredibly lovely aesthetic and subtlety existential undertones, made me a fast, passionate fan. I also became insatiably curious to know what went into it all: the landscapes, the mental-spaces of the women, the surreal atmosphere, everything. I eventually had the amazing honor to interview the Sydney-based artist, and was and still am so excited to release this interview with one of my favorite artists that I’ve ever come across! So without further ado, let’s get into it.

miranda-sand-doons-full-moon

Sand Dunes // Full Moon

BB) What makes MS Paint the right medium for your artwork, does it help properly materialize the images in your head or was it simply an artistic choice?

ML) It wasn’t so much a choice as it was just the medium I had available at the time. I love MS Paint, I used it as a kid and I love the sense of nostalgia I get from using it. It just feels like the right medium for me. I know the way all the brushes look and feel like the back of my hand, it’s become almost like an extension of myself. It’s simple and childlike, and I want to show what you can do with minimal tools and training. Anyone can draw with photoshop, anyone can take a class in Illustrator, but not everyone can create a masterpiece with MS Paint. I take pride in being able to use such a basic program, and I want to show people that it is not about the tools you have but how you use them.

BB) Have you always been artistic, and if so, what are some of the other mediums that you’ve utilized?
ML) Yes, always. I loved drawing when I was a kid, and my mum is an amazing artist who has had a huge influence in my artistic ability. She always encouraged me to create from a very young age. Before I was using MS Paint as my predominant medium I tried drawing with pencil, pens, water colour. But nothing clicked with me like MS Paint did. It really is a love affair!
miranda-love-affair-repair

Love Affair // Repair

BB) Your work is extremely beautiful in its minimalism and simplicity. How do you begin a piece, and how do you know when it’s finished?

ML) Thank you! I start by playing with colour palettes for hours until I get the right mood from the colours I have chosen. I start drawing a landscape and just see where the drawing takes me. I never plan out my drawings, they just sort of happen. The colours and the theme of the drawing are always based on my mood at the time. I know when it’s finished when I sit back and don’t feel the need to tamper with it anymore. I generally work on one image over the course of a single day.

BB) A lot of your work features a solitary female figure surrounded by a grand, colorful landscape. Are you trying to evoke something specific with this layout, or ignite certain kinds of emotions? What are your characters doing or searching for out in the world?

ML) A lot of my drawings focus on isolation, escaping reality and being at peace with your surroundings. I draw landscapes to lose yourself in, little make-believe universes to escape to. It’s about those moments when you are staring out the train window but in your head you are miles away. My goal is to capture that moment, the moments when you are all alone but at total peace with the world around you. My characters are searching for nothing, they are just being. Happily existing in their dreamscapes; fantastical pastel universes that only exist in your mind. That feeling when you are daydreaming and feel totally removed from the real world. I feature the ocean a lot because it’s huge and terrifying and unexplored. I like a bit of mystery. I’m trying to encapsulate those dreams you have that aren’t quite nightmares. The feeling you get when something is beautiful but something is not quite right.
miranda-rose-cliff

Rose // Cliff

BB) Have you ever put yourself in any of your paintings? If so, why was it important to place yourself within the piece, and if not, why is it significant to portray other types of people?

ML) Only once, I drew a self portrait with myself and my pet snake, simply to try something new. My art works aren’t really about me, so I try to keep the figures as neutral as possibly so that any person from anywhere in the world can look at my drawings and see themselves.

BB) I love the blood red moon imagery you often use in your artwork! Is the moon there to represent powerful femininity or it present for another reason?

miranda-eastern-suburbs-snow-beach

Eastern Suburbs // Snow Beach

ML) The moon in my drawings sometimes represents the bond all women share with each other, but originally I started drawing big red moons/suns because of the Japanese flag. The Japanese flag shows a big red sun which has a lot of ties with Japanese mythology and religion. I was really intrigued by this at the time and it worked it’s way into my drawings. The Japanese also have all these different names for different shades of red, and all those different shades have different meanings and different times and places when they can be used.

BB) You’ve mentioned on Instagram that Guy Billout is your favorite artist. What is it about his art that inspires you?
guy-billout

Guy Billout piece

ML) I adore Guy Billout, he is the reason I moved from hand drawing to computer illustration. His works just take you to another world. They’re scary and intriguing, beautiful and interesting.  Some his works make me feel really uneasy, and I really like that. He makes really clever art, I get so lost in his concepts. I love that he makes such simple artwork that somehow has so much depth to it.

BB) For me it’s a very calming and therapeutic experience when I look at your work. What do feel when you look at your own pieces, and what do you hope other people feel?

ML) I hope other people find a sense of calm from my drawings. I know a lot of people fear being alone, so I try to play up the idea of being happy and alone, enjoying time with yourself and learning to be alone. It’s important to enjoy your own company sometimes. I love when people put their own meanings to my images though, I absolutely adore hearing what other people see in my drawings. That’s part of the fun. They are very much open for interpreting. When I draw them, I’m just hoping to project whatever emotion I’m feeling at the time.

BB) If you had to pick one or two bands that could provide the soundtrack for the world of your paintings, who would they be?

ML) I think Atlas Sound would provide a very fitting, dreamy yet unsettling shoe-gaze vibe to my pictures. I draw a lot while listening to them. Otherwise, minimal ambient/techno would definitely give you the vibe i’m going for. I can’t think of a specific band, but Mall Grabs Can’t’ is a very fitting track.
miranda all strippers go to heaven.png

All Strippers Go To Heaven

BB) Bonus question: In your opinion why do you think all strippers go to heaven?
ML) Because anyone wearing clear-plastic platform stilettos is already close to heaven.

Go follow and support Miranda on all her platforms!

Society6: (x)  Instagram: (x)  Tumblr: (x)  Facebook: (x)

Interview conducted by: Veronica Brevik

Email: brevikbanter@gmail.com

Twitter: @VeronicaBrevik (x)

Cover art: Mountain Hike // Missing Bike by Miranda Lorikeet

Leave a Reply

WordPress.com Logo

Twitter picture

Facebook photo